Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Art of Travel: Fiesole, Italy


Testa Etrusca

In 1969, after a year of living in Paris, I moved to Florence, Italy, where I got a job teaching English. I rented an apartment in Fiesole, a nearby Etruscan hill village. The next eight months were among the most pleasant of my life. Each morning I would ride my Vespa down into Florence. Each afternoon I would return to Fiesole to stroll through the Roman ruins behind the village, visit my friend the librarian at the Franciscan monastery, or read la Divina Commedia at a café under the lime trees. When I left to return to the United States, my landlady gave me this sculpture of a woman's head. She told me she had found it in the fields around Fiesole when she was a girl, and that it was Etruscan. —Tom Cooch

Tom Cooch, right, at the opening of the Art of Travel.

The Art of Travel, featuring photographs by Wink Willett, watercolors by Bonny Willet, sketchbooks by Susan Abbott and Paul Calter, and souvenirs collected by local globetrotters, is on view until July 20.



No comments:

Post a Comment